INFN Technical Platforms for Accelerators
The National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN) is the Italian research agency dedicated to the study of the fundamental constituents of matter and the laws that govern them. It conducts theoretical and experimental research in the fields of sub-nuclear, nuclear and astroparticle physics. The INFN carries out research activities at two complementary types of facilities: twenty divisions (plus six groups linked to the divisions) located in university physics departments and four national laboratories.
The technological infrastructures dedicated to accelerators and superconducting magnets follow the geographical distribution of the facilities and are linked each other depending on the field of applications. Three main distributed infrastructures are:
- Distributed technical infrastructure for the development and tests of high power normal conducting structures for hadron acceleration and high power couplers. The infrastructure is distributed in one laboratory and four sections of INFN (Laboratori Nazionali di Legnaro-LNL, Padova, Torino, Bologna). Main technological facilities are:
- Facilities for the construction of RF components
- Test stations of RF components up to 200 kW
- Irradiation facilities for interdisciplinary applications
- Distributed large technical infrastructure for applied superconductivity dedicated to coordinated developments and tests of superconducting magnets for accelerators and accelerating superconducting cavities. The infrastructure based on large cryogenic facilities is located in four different sections and laboratories (Genova, Laboratori di Legnaro, Milano-LASA and Napoli). Main technological facilities are:
- Two test stations at high magnetic field in Genova and Milano-LASA
- Vertical test station for superconducting accelerator magnets in Milano-LASA
- Horizontal test station for superconducting accelerator magnet cooled with supercritical helium in Salerno
- Station for handling and test of superconducting rf cavities in superfluid helium up to 500MHz in Milano-Lasa
- Production photo-cathode laboratory in Milano-LASA
- Technical infrastructure for the development and tests of high power normal conducting structures for electron accelerators. The infrastructure is mainly centered in the national laboratories of the INFN in Frascati . Main technological facilities are:
- Radiation test beam facility with electrons and photons.
- Test facility for rf components
- Synchrotron radiation facility
If you have further questions or would like to contact INFN regarding these technical platforms, please contact us via e-mail.